AADE Nationally Accredited Diabetes education program
Diabetes Self-Management Education Program ( AADE 7 Behaviours).
Managing Diabetes Is Not Easy. After diagnosis most people have concerns such as:
- What does having diabetes really mean?
- What can I eat?
- Will I need to take shots?
- Why do I need to check my blood sugar and what do the numbers mean?
- How can I prevent the complications associated with having diabetes?
- Where can I get the support I need to cope with managing my diabetes?
The AADE Nationally Accredited Diabetes education program at KPB Pharmacy will help answer these questions with practical solutions based on latest science and individualized to your needs to give you peace of mind as you manage your diabetes from day to day.
The Program is taught by Dr Sulbha Pai a Board Certified Pharmacist who is also a Certified Diabetes educator.
Session 1: Overview and Monitoring
- Feelings surrounding diagnosis
- Explanation of diabetes
- Blood glucose and laboratory monitoring
- Overview of how to live with diabetes Self-management
Session 2: Hypo/Hyperglycemia and Introduction to Nutrition
- Review of last session’s information
- Review/discussion of self-management goal set last session
- Discussion of Hyper/hypoglycemia
- Introduction to Nutrition Self-management goal
Session 3: Nutrition
- Review self-management goals from Sessions 1 and 2
- Review nutrition information from Session 2
- Discuss impact of carbohydrates, protein and fat on BG Healthy/Unhealthy fats
- Critique meals Fast Foods with a self-management goal
- Make a Meal
Session 4: Medication and Complications of Diabetes
- Disease Progression
- Types of Medication
- Side Effects
- Self-Management: review progress on goal from Session 1 related to medication as well as goals from Sessions 2 and 3
Session 5: Everyday Tips for Staying Healthy
- Foot Care
- Dental Care
Session 6: Healthy Coping
- Faith Based Activities
- Thinking positive
- Being Good to yourself
Session 7: Grocery Store/Supermarket Tour
This class will provide the opportunity to show the participant that favorite foods may be included in a healthful meal plan. Participants will be shown healthy food alternatives that are tasty and that may be included as meal options for the entire family.
We also do offer in-house blood sugar and A1C testing.
Making an appointment
The Program consists of a total of 10 hour classes with 7 sessions. These sessions can be spread over 3months to one year. Follow up sessions can be arranged to cater to individual personalized requirements. Patients may come into the program for individual or group instruction. You may be referred by your Physician or may come in as a self- referral. There is a fee for the program and most insurances do pay for it . The first half hour is recommended to be an individual session where we get to know your individual training needs.
Please call for an appointment – 561 4094287 or 561 4094495.